Parent Information Sheet
What Is SEND IASS?
Under the Children and Families Act (2014) it is a legal requirement that all Local Authorities have a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) The Hounslow Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides this service for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in the borough. This service is also offered directly to young people as well. While the service is funded by the London Borough of Hounslow (LBH), Hounslow SENDIASS works independently of the local authority.
Hounslow SENDIASS is free to use, impartial and confidential.
What We Do
Hounslow SENDIASS provides independent and impartial advice based on the law and government guidance. We are able to:
- Meet with you virtually or in person to discuss your concerns or needs. Communication may also be by phone and email
- Explain how the SEND system works – for instance, accessing Education, Health, and Care (EHC) plans
- Assist you in you navigating the often-complex world of SEND
- Signpost you to appropriate local authority services, including the Local Offer
- Support you through dispute resolution and mediation processes with schools and the local authority
(NB. Where you request support at a meeting, this is subject to appropriateness, availability, and capacity)
What We Don’t Do
Our aim is to empower young people, parents, and carers to take informed decisions around SEND for themselves. We don’t however:
- Tell you what is best for you and your child
- Tell other professionals what to do
- Identify appropriate schools for your child
- Represent you at meetings, including mediation and tribunals
- Assist in the preparation of EHC or tribunal documentation
- Provide an administrative service for you, including contacting or arranging meetings for you with other professionals and form-filling
- Help with benefit claims, housing difficulties, Blue Badges etc
(NB. If your child has an EHC plan, your first contact should be your child’s EHC caseworker)
You can help us by:
- Leaving a message when you phone as we do not respond to missed calls where no message has been left (We aim to respond to all enquires within 5 working days)
- Keep us updated on progress in relation to the resolution of your concerns or needs
- Let us know when your issues have been resolve
All the information that Hounslow SENDIASS gathers from you is securely stored electronically and separate to local authority departments. Information will only be shared with your permission. However, where there may a safeguarding concern Hounslow SENDIASS is obliged to share such concerns with appropriate professionals.
How to access our service
We are a self-refer service. Parents are able to access us directly. We are unable to take referrals from professionals.
If you would like our help, please telephone us on 020 8583 2607 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org