Hounslow Home Page Link

What the Law says about childcare

What the law says regarding childcare for children with a disability or special educational need

What is a special educational need (SEN) or disability?

A child has SEN if he or she has much more difficulty learning than others of the same age, or a disability that makes it hard to benefit from the facilities generally available in local schools and childcare settings.

Special education provision is additional to or different from what is usually provided for children of that age (Children and Families Act 2014).

According to the Equality Act 2010, a disability is a physical or mental impairment, which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on someone’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

The Local Offer

Hounslow’s Local Offer provides information in one place: detailing the services and activities that families can find locally and how to access them. The Local Offer includes:
  • Childcare options, including expertise to support children with SEND
  • Support to parents to aid children’s development at home, such as Early Support and Portage
  • Funded early education places and any special arrangements for children with SEND
  • Support to help children with SEND move smoothly from a day nursery, preschool playgroup or a childminder to a school nursery class or reception class at primary school
  • Health services
  • Schools
  • A range of other services available locally
  • Guidance about seeking advice from specialist services