Hounslow Home Page Link

Support with getting into work 

Support with Getting into Work

If you need help and advice on what you would like to do and the options available to you contact: Connexions on 0208 583 5151 to make an appointment to see someone who can help with careers advice. Some options may include: Supported Internships are programmes that support young people with SEND move from education to employment. 

  • Traineeship - if you don’t yet have the skills needed to start your career, a traineeship can give you the experience you need to find a job. Find out about DfE traineeships here
  • Apprenticeships - in an apprenticeship, you can earn a salary while getting on-the-job training job training and qualifications.
  • Other Local Organisations that can help:
  • Employment Opportunity Service aims to support people over 18 with a disability to find and retain paid employment. If you are looking for paid work or want to take steps towards paid work, then the Employment Opportunities Service may be able to help.

    Job Centre Plus Disability Employment Advisor.

    Every Job Centre has one. An EHCP should be good enough evidence of a disability or indeed PIP/ESA benefits. They can contact the SEN Team if necessary. 

    Shaw Trust prepares people with disabilities for employment offering short courses and 1:1 support. Referral is via Job Centre Plus. 

    Scope – Kick Start: into work service for Hounslow young people

    Work Clubs - drop-in service for Hounslow residents: Hounslow House, Tuesdays 2pm to 4pm and Feltham Library, Thursdays 2pm to 4pm.

    Careers advice

    Connexions work with young people and can also advice schools on preparing for adulthood with specialist advisors for young people with SEND
    Skills escalator service if you get housing benefits, this service can give you one-to-one careers advice
    The National Careers Service provides lots of free information and advice for young people to help you make decisions about learning, training and work opportunities.
    If you have a disability and you're studying on a course or looking to get into work, there is lots of advice available on the website too.
    Support to Work is a free online and telephone support programme for disabled people in England and Wales, who are looking for paid work. This is not a face-to-face service, so may not be right for everyone. 

    Financial Support at Work

    You may be entitled to financial support while you work.

    Find out more about working with benefits at the entitledto website.

    Personal Independence Payment PIP is not related to income.  

    Employment Support Allowance (ESA) You may get ESA if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you’re: 

    • not getting Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay and you have not gone back to work 
    • not getting Jobseeker’s Allowance 

    You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

    You may also be able to claim Universal credit

    Reasonable Adjustments and Access to Work Rights

    Organisations must make reasonable adjustments to support disabled job applicants and employees.
    Many reasonable adjustments involve little or no cost and could include:
    • making changes to a disabled person’s working pattern
    • providing training or mentoring
    • making alterations to premises
    • ensuring that information is provided in accessible formats
    • modifying or acquiring equipment
    • allowing extra time during selection ‘tests’
    Find out more about other reasonable adjustments employers should do at the Government website
    If you need work support like adaptations, equipment or travel support. 
    Access to work can pay for practical support if you have a disability.

    Diagnosis specific schemes: Trisomy 21 and Autism

    If you have Downs syndrome

    WorkFit can give you support on advice so you can fulfil your work ambitions

    Find out about WorkFit opportunities

    Work support for Young People with a diagnosis of autism 

    If you have autism, CareTrade is a charity which provides support to move from school/ college into employment.