What the law says regarding childcare for children with a disability or special educational need

What is a special educational need (SEN) or disability?

A child has SEN if he or she has much more difficulty learning than others of the same age, or a disability that makes it hard to benefit from the facilities generally available in local schools and childcare settings.

Special education provision is additional to or different from what is usually provided for children of that age (Children and Families Act 2014).

According to the Equality Act 2010, a disability is a physical or mental impairment, which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on someone’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.