The Cochlear Implanted Children's Support Group
The CICS Group - www.cicsgroup.org - was set up to help families whose children are so deaf that they do not derive sufficient benefit from conventional hearing aids. The vast majority of these children will be suitable for a cochlear implant, a surgically implanted device that, with the right support, and assuming they have no other significant disabilities, will enable them to learn to listen and to develop intelligible speech.
Established in 1993 and registered as a charity in May 2003, CICS is an entirely voluntary group run by parents who recognise that there is no one approach that will suit all children.
The Group is independent and relies entirely on donations, grants, and fundraising efforts to cover expenses.
CICS organises fun activities for our members' children - including adventure playground visits, weekends away and trips to theme parks. While the children have fun parents can meet to talk about their experiences, swap ideas and make friends.
- Age Range
from birth to 21
Amount No charge for joining. Some activities may need to be paid for, but are subsidised by the charity
- Additional Information
- Registered Charity No:1097619. Our volunteers are DBS checked
- SEND Details
- Put families in touch with others with relevant experiences
- Provide a quarterly newsletter
- Organise Information Days
- Arrange social events and activity weekends
- Liaise with other organisations helping deaf children
- Provide links with other groups, adult CI users and some overseas families
- Raise awareness
- Take part in campaigns and research
Dependent on location
Who to contact
The role of this directory is to provide information. It is your personal responsibility to make sure that organisations are appropriate and safe for you, your child or young person before they attend. Please read our guide to staying safe - things to consider