Girl's group @ Reach Academy
Who is this project for? Young women aged 13-18, living in the Feltham area who are deemed vulnerable and would benefit from support through group work where the girls have the opportunity to meet, have fun, learn skills, look at issues relevant their lives and generally build confidence in a safe and supportive environment. We also provide individual support offering advice, information, advocacy and referrals to relevant agencies.
Mission Our mission is to truly empower local young women, to give them the opportunity to take a lead and have an equal amount of responsibility of the project which will informally educate them on how to:
- Continuously develop and strengthen their self-worth through personal development opportunities which focus on self-esteem, compassion and achieving personal goals
- Make valuable and responsible choices which will ensure they keep themselves safe and divert from risky behaviours which can have consequences on their health and well-being
- Look after their mental health and overall well-being through physical activities, 1-1 sessions to discuss personal challenges/difficulties and creating an action plan to overcome them and exploring different techniques and methods which will help lower stress and anxiety
- Be content and happy in their own skin through workshops which focus on building self-worth, character building and taking part in voluntary work within the community to build their sense of achievement and compassion for others.
- Ability to identify their positive qualities, skills and characteristics
- Ability to set, work on and review personal goals to achieve what they want in all areas of their lives
- Improved attitude towards adults, education and peers
- Develop leadership through peer mentoring
- Ability to build and maintain healthy relationships and friendships
- Willingness to help the community by taking part in voluntary work or activities to support local charitable organisations
Background This group was set up due to difficulties and challenges faced by young women within the school and our awareness of the needs of local young people through our communication with local agencies and organisations. Unfortunately, child sexual exploitation is prevalent in Hounslow and the increase in unhealthy relationships has made us feel that the girls and young women in Feltham would benefit from having somewhere to go support and develop their knowledge on what healthy relationships are like. Also, the negative impact on self-esteem and self-worth due to sexualisation and negative stereotyping of young women was another driving forces behind the start of this project.
- Referral required?
- Age Range
- Additional Information
- All staff are DBS checked
When is it on
- Date & Time
- Thursdays 6 - 8pm, Term Time Only
Where to go
- Name of venue
- Reach Academy
- Venue address
53-55 High Street
- TW13 4AB
Who to contact
- Georgia Crew
- 07788 252898 or 020 8893 1099
The role of this directory is to provide information. It is your personal responsibility to make sure that organisations are appropriate and safe for you, your child or young person before they attend. Please read our guide to staying safe - things to consider