Mencap Traineeship Programme
Mencap’s Traineeship is an employment and study programme aimed at getting SEN young people (with learning difficulties, disabilities and/or autism), aged 19 – 24, get into paid work.
The focus is increasing and promoting as much independence as possible, to get them ready for the world of work and well as furthering their English and Maths skills.
It runs for 13 weeks as a transition stage before progressing onto the final independent work placement.
Over the course of the traineeship, candidates will be asked to complete:
- 36 hours of pre work placement workshops – these will provide them with work skills training that they will need for their placement.
- 100 hours of work placement, with support provided by a job coach.
- 55 hours of Maths and 55 hours of English that run alongside the work placement hours.
Mencap will provide candidates with:
- A job coach while they are on work placement.
- Tailored Maths and English sessions around the skills that the candidate wants to learn.
- Accreditation in Functional Skills.
- Support of the candidates whilst they are at work and on the programme.
- Training in the skills needed to be independent at work.
Requirements of the candidate:
- Motivation to work.
- Be able to commit for all 13 weeks.
- Able to travel independently or be able to receive travel training.
- Commitment to Maths, English and work placement hours.
- Have Level 2 or below.
Ella Akyuz Holgate – Employment Coordinator
Opportunities for January 2020:
- Pizza Restaurant: Leicester Square
- Asian Inspired Restaurant: Central London
Toy Store: TBC
- Pizza making, cooking, hosting, food preparation, cashier, running food, clearing tables and washing dishes. These tasks vary by day, but you will be trained in each position.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Be a responsible team member and support your fellow team members.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and multitasking.
- Have a can-do attitude and be open to learning and trying new things.
- Follow health, safety and sanitisation standards for all products.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
Asian Inspired Restaurant
- Front of House.
- Replenish stock and stock rotation.
- Clearing tables.
- Using the till
- Price check stock using tablet
- Replenish stock
- Check price labels are correct
- Demonstration of promotional products and dress up in costume
- Stock count
- Working as a team to unpack deliveries and put stock out
- General housekeeping – cleaning, tidying etc.
- Customer service - be able to talk to customers and comfortable interacting with children
- Learning about product knowledge using an online training system (with support if needed)
- Be able to multi-task, e.g. stacking shelves while stopping to serve customers (with support if needed)
- Age Range
Who to contact
- Ella Akyuz Holgate
The role of this directory is to provide information. It is your personal responsibility to make sure that organisations are appropriate and safe for you, your child or young person before they attend. Please read our guide to staying safe - things to consider