Skip to main content

Education and Learning

Starting Nursery or Reception class

Nursery Class

Children can take up a free, part-time place in a nursery class from the September after their third birthday. 

The application forms are available in January each year and you have until the beginning of May to submit your application directly to the school/s of your choice. (you may apply to more than one).  You will be notified at the end of May if your child has a place at your chosen school/s for September.

For more information and to download the latest brochure and application form, see Nursery admissions

Reception Class

Children can start attending school for a full day (also known as reception class) from the September after their fourth birthday

The admissions process in an online only application and opens in November each year.  You have until mid-January to submit your application and help in completing the online application is available through weekly drop in sessions during this period

For more information and to download the latest brochure and access the online application form, see Primary admissions

More information

Help with school costs

As a parent, you may be entitled to help towards school costs. This will be dependent on your circumstances. 

Examples of financial help include:

Supporting your child's education

You must make sure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs. Find out more about:

Problems at school

If you have a problem or need to make a complaint about something that has happened at school, you will need to follow the school’s complaints procedure.  Every school in England must have a procedure and this should be published on the school’s website. It should tell you what kind of complaints the school will deal with, such as bullying or bad behaviour.

If you feel after following the schools procedure, your complaint has not been resolved, you will need to complain in writing to the school’s governing body. 

There are many websites and helplines offering advice on issues parents and children may experience at school, some of which are listed below for your convenience 

  • Bullying Information and advice on what Bullying is, whether in school or outside of school along with advice and support agencies to turn to.
  • Child Law Advice specialist advice and information on child, family and education law to parents, carers and young people.
  • Citizens Advice free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities
  • Family Lives national family support charity providing help and support in all aspects of family life

Education, training and apprenticeships after 16

Up until the age of 18 years, all young people must be in some form of education or training however after the age of 16, this does not have to be in a school. See what options are available at 

Education, ESOL classes, training and employment for parents

Parents can get advice and support about getting and/or staying in employment from the following: 

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

All schools provide support for young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

This means if your child has SEND, they can usually attend their local school. 

However, children with more complex levels of need could be entitled more specialist support to achieve their full potential.

Find what special needs support you can get in schools and how to access it on the Local Offer Education pages