Skip to main content

How to get an education health and care plan EHC assessment

An education, health and care plan (EHC plan) may be needed if your child has very complex needs that can't be supported by mainstream education with SEN Support

Who can request an EHC assessment?

  • Parents or carers
  • Young person between 16 and 25 years old
  • Someone who works with them in an Early Years setting, school or post 16 institution
  • Someone else who knows them well, such as a doctor, who wishes to bring their special educational needs to the Local Authority’s attention

Before requesting an assessment

  • Make sure the education setting has done an assessment of needs, planned support that the child or young person needs, put this in place for a reasonable period of time, reviewed progress, and then amended the level or type of support as necessary. The Local Authority will ask to see detailed action plans and costs .(criteria for decision to assess).
  • Make sure that the young person wishes to continue in education or training if they are over age 18.

If you'd like an assessment, you simply need to download and complete the right form for you.

The criteria for assessment can be found in the downloads section. For independent and confidential information and advice for anything to do with EHCP contact SENDIASS

The Complete EHC Process week by week


To return your form or for further information:

Special educational needs team

London Borough of Hounslow, 4th Floor
7 Bath Road

Telephone 020 8583 2672