Skip to main content

Relatives providing childcare

If you are using a relative to look after your child without payment, they do not have to register with Ofsted.

If you are paying your relative and want help with these costs, various rules can apply.

Government funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds

This funding is not available for childminders who care for their own child or a related child. This applies even if they are claiming for other children.

You can claim government funding if your relative works for a school, pre-school or a day nursery that your child is attending.

Nannies, are unable to register on the Early Years Register and so cannot receive government funding.

Tax Free Childcare and Universal Credits

You can claim help with the cost of childcare through Tax Free Childcare and Universal credits when using a relative. Your relative must adhere to the following:

  • Register as an Ofsted registered childminder
  • Look after your child away from your home
  • Advertise their childminding services
  • Care for other unrelated children at the same time

If your relative works for a school, pre-school or day nursery that your child is attending, you can claim Tax Free childcare or Universal Credits.

Specified Adult Childcare Credits

Grandparents and relatives providing childcare are now able to claim National Insurance credits. Your relative needs to be over 16, and under state pension age. The credits are for anyone who is providing care for a young relative under the age of 12 to enable a parent to work.

Specified Adult Childcare credits can be backdated to 6 April 2011.

For information and how to apply follow this link

Or, you can phone the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500