Skip to main content

Transport support

Travel/Transport assistance for young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities

As students get older and approach statutory school leaving age it is expected that those who are able should be offered the opportunity to gain a variety of life skills, including independent travel where possible.  

Hounslow Local Authority does not expect to provide travel assistance for post-16 student attending colleges, although in some cases it may exceptionally do so.

In exceptional circumstances Hounslow Local Authority may provide alternative or additional travel assistance for pupils with a Statement of Special Education Needs or Education Health and Care plan who are remaining in the same educational placement, where support with travel was provided up to the age of 16.

In such cases, Hounslow Local Authority would consider whether there are exceptional factors that warrant a continuation of travel assistance. The type of travel assistance will be based on an assessment of the young person’s needs.

Students beyond the age of 19 with Learning Difficulties and/or Disabilities should contact School Travel Assistance Team.

Contact details:


Telephone: 020 8583 4177

The London Borough of Hounslow provision of travel assistance for young people policy can be found in the Transport Policy document in the downloads section.

Support offered by Transport for London (TFL) & Rail

16+ Zip Oyster Photocard?

Students aged between 16 to 18, and those still 18 by 31st August, before the relevant academic year, and in full time education are entitled to free travel on local buses and trams however they will need to apply for an 16+ Oyster Card to take advantage of this scheme.

Details on how to apply for a 16+ Oyster card are available on the TfL website.

18+ Oyster Photocard?

Students aged 18 or over who live at a London address during term time, are in full-time education, i.e. enrolled on a course at a registered establishment such as West Thames College, or are on a mandatory work placement in London, may be eligible for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard.

The 18+ Oyster photocard will enable students to a 30 per cent discount off adult rated Travelcards and Bus or Tram Pass season tickets.

Details on how to apply for an 18+ Oystercard are available on the TfL website:

Apprentice Oyster Photocard

With an Apprentice Oyster photocard young people aged 18 or above in an approved apprenticeship can get 30 per cent off the price of adult-rate Travelcards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets.

Further details on the scheme and how to apply for an Apprentice Oyster Photocard can be obtained by visiting the following website: Apprentice Oyster Card

Young Person’s Railcard

The young person’s railcard is available to students aged 16-25 or over 26 and in full time education.

Further details on the scheme and how to apply for a Young Person’s Railcard can be obtained by visiting the following website:

Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass

Disabled person’s freedom pass is available to someone with the statutory disabilities.

In order to be eligible for a disabled person freedom pass you must:

●     Have your sole or principle residence in London and;

●     Have any of the statutory disabilities listed in the Transport act 2000.

The statutory disabilities which make someone eligible for a disabled person freedom pass are:

a. People who are blind or partially sighted

b. People who are profoundly or severely deaf

c. People without speech

d. People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk

e. People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms

f. People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'

g. People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

For more information on this scheme and to apply please visit:

Taxicard & Dial a ride

Taxicard is a scheme that provides subsidised transport for people who have serious mobility impairment and difficulty in using public transport. Taxicard holders make journeys in licensed London taxis and private hire vehicles, and the subsidy applies directly to each trip.

The London Taxicard Scheme is funded by the participating London boroughs and the Mayor of London. London Councils Transport and Environment Committee manage the London Taxicard Scheme on their behalf.

Your Taxicard can be used anytime, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, subject to taxi and private hire vehicle availability.

For more information on the London Taxicard scheme, please follow this link:

Dial a ride

Is a accessible shared door to door service - that you can book in advance.  You need to become a member .

You are eligible if you receive

  • High rate mobility DLA

Travel buddy and travel training

There is a travel buddy scheme and also travel training for young people in Hounslow. 

Find out more here

Help from Colleges

If you are attending college too far for daily travel or attending residential college information about the support available can be found at the GOV.UK website.

Apprentices or non-employed Programme Led Apprentices can apply to their learning provider for reasonable expenses where these are a barrier to learning, from the Additional Learner Support allocation.

What financial help can you get from local College?

 You may be entitled to financial support during your studies from local college. The following colleges are based around Hounslow please visit their website for details of support available:

Visit West-Thames College

Visit Richmond upon Thames College

Visit Ealing, Hammersmith & West London College

Visit Uxbridge College

Appeals and complaints

If parents/carers/ Young People disagree with the council assessment of travel assistance that it deems is necessary for their child, including a decision that the child does not qualify for or need any help, they may appeal against that decision by writing to explain why they feel that the child’s circumstances are exceptional or that the assessment carried out is wrong. Each case will be given careful consideration by an independent senior officer of the council (i.e. the reviewing officer will be an officer involved in the original decision).

This policy operates in parallel to School Travel Assistance Policy and a copy of appeals procedure can be found in Appendix 2 of Home to School Travel Assistance Policy on the council website.