Skip to main content

Further education - ages 16+

All young people must be in education or training until they're 18 years old.

There are 15 secondary schools in Hounslow, most children continue at their school but you do need to apply and there are other options.

You can find out how to apply for a school sixth form by visiting the secondary schools page page.

Below you'll find other education options which can develop the skills of young people with special educational needs and disabilities. 

Specialist Post-16 sixth form

Schools in Hounslow who provide specialist post-16 education for young people with SEND:

Special Schools in other boroughs may also offer post 16 education or training that meets the needs of the young person, here are a list of schools that have been used.

Post-16 colleges

The following colleges support young people with special educational needs and disability.

Specialist College

Other post 16 courses

Other providers also offer courses that are accessible to young people with SEND these often include life skills, cv writing and high levels of support.

How to choose the right post-16 education

You can make sure you find the right college by downloading this checklist (PDF 217KB)

Financial Support at college

16 to 19 Bursary Fund

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and:

> studying at school or college (not university) in England

> on a training course, including unpaid work experience

A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like:

> clothing, books and other equipment for your course

> transport and lunch on days you study or train


You must be:

1 - under 19 at the start of the academic year you want a bursary for

2 - studying at school or college, or on an unpaid training course

You could get up to £1,200 if you’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit in place of ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name.

Apply once you know where you’ll study or train, so you’ll get your bursary as soon as possible. You might need to reapply for a bursary for each year of your course. Check with your college

Lists of government approved schools

A list of schools approved to work with people with special education needs