COVID-19 Summer food fund
Due to the unprecedented nature of the coronavirus outbreak and the increased pressure families will face on household budgets over the coming months the Government has launched a Covid Summer Food Fund.
This will enable children who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals to be supported over the summer holiday period.
Extra funding has also been provided to enable Further Education institutions to continue to provide free meal support for the 2020 summer holiday.
We encourage families to consider making choices that contribute to a healthy balanced diet.
For further information on how to apply for the voucher or claim them in supermarkets visit the Government's website.
Support available for unemployment or reduced work due to coronavirus
Apply online for Universal Credit to get financial support if you’ve lost your job or getting less work if you are self-employed as a result of the pandemic.
You might also be able to:
- apply online for New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance
- apply for New Style Employment and Support Allowance, if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.
You might also be able to get New Style Employment and Support Allowance if one of the following applies to you or your child, now or some time in the past:
- you’re at high risk because you have an underlying health condition (shielding)
- you’re self-isolating because you have symptoms of coronavirus
- you’re self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus, or you were told to self-isolate by a test and trace service
Interviews and assessments will be done by telephone. You should not go to a Jobcentre Plus unless asked to do so for an exceptional purpose, for example to collect your Payment Exception Service vouchers.
If you are self-employed and getting less work or no work because of coronavirus you might be able to claim a grant for lost income. You can find out more about the scheme here.
More support and advice
- Hounslow Council - find out about discretionary local crisis payments, council tax support, housing payment support and more.
- Hounslow Community Hub - assistance for someone isolated and vulnerable with no other support network
- Hounslow Citizens Advice working alongside Hounslow Council to support Hounslow residents during this time. You can call, email or request a call back if you cant find an answer of their many advice pages
- Foodbanks - Information about getting help from a local food or clothing bank, where they are and what's available
- Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert - Coronavirus Financial Help & Rights covering employment help, lock-down help, travel rights and more.
- Turn 2 Us and Entitled to - Benefit calculators to check if you are entitled to any additional support if your circumstances have change during this period.
- Child Benefit - Parents of new-borns will still be able to claim Child Benefit despite not being able to visit the General Register Offices
COVID-19 related pages: Fun things to do - Online resources for Home Learning - Health and Well-being - SEND information and advice - Information for Young People - Under 10’s Domestic Violence Support Programme - 11-18 years old Domestic Violence Support Programme