Tax Free Childcare

Save money on your childcare bills with Tax-Free Childcare

If you’re a working parent or carer, you can get up to £500 per child every three months. That's up to £2,000 a year per child to help with the costs of childcare. For every £8 you pay into an online account, the government will add an extra £2, up to £2,000 per child per year.
If your child has a disability, you can get up to £1,000 every three months. That's up to £4,000 a year per child.
You can use it to pay for Ofsted registered childcare which includes:
  • childminders, day nurseries, pre-school playgroups and nannies
  • holiday playschemes, before and after school clubs, holiday clubs and tuition
Check with your Ofsted registered provider to see if they’re signed up.
You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours free childcare if you’re eligible for both.

You could be eligible...

You may still be eligible if your partner is working, and you get:
  • Incapacity Benefit,
  • Severe Disablement Allowance,
  • Carer’s Allowance,
  • Contribution based Employment and Support Allowance.
If you’re not currently working
You can apply if you’re starting or re-starting work within 31 days.

Who is it for?

Tax Free childcare is for working families, including the self-employed.
You must be earning under £100k and at least 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage.
Your children must be 0-11 years (or 0-16 if disabled).
You cannot be accessing Tax Credits, Universal Credit or childcare vouchers.

You can use Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as (where available):

Use TFC with15 hours free childcare and 30 hours free childcare. You cannot use it with: Universal Credit, Tax Credits, A childcare bursary or grant, Childcare Vouchers

If your child has a disability

You can use the extra Tax-Free Childcare money to:
  • help pay for extra hours of childcare
  • pay your childcare provider so they can get specialist equipment


Need help setting up your account or have any questions? The HMRC helpline can help call 0300 123 4097.
If your application returns a 'not eligible' result and you think this is wrong, you can make a request to challenge a childcare decision.