Skip to main content

Social care

A child or young person with complex needs could be eligible for social care support. With the right care, they can reach their potential.

Disabilities you can get support with

  • severe physical/ learning disability
  • severely visually impaired  (blind)
  • registered as hearing impaired (deaf) and uses BSL
  • terminal illness
  • aged 14+ with Down syndrome (although this could be younger depending on their level of learning need).

Support available

Following an assessment, we can offer you support with:

  • day care
  • short breaks
  • self-help and parent groups
  • play schemes
  • direct payments
  • homecare support 
  • overnight short breaks 
  • referrals to specialist services

How to get a social care assessment

If you feel you or your child is eligible for extra care or support, you can ask for an assessment.

Before you contact us 

You should download the eligibility guide for support for young people aged 0 to 18 here (PDF 41KB) 

It will explain the specific types of disability needs that can be assessed.

After you've read the eligibility guide

Whether you’re a parent, carer, or professional, you can get in touch in the following ways.

If the young person is under 18 years old

Telephone 020 8583 6600 (choose option 1, then option 1 again)

Email  (non secure)  (secure)

If the young person is aged over 18 years

Telephone 0208 583 3100


If you’re a professional you’ll need to download and complete this assessment before referring someone (165KB PDF)

Your enquiry will be assessed by a manager.

If you’re eligible for social care support we’ll be in touch.

But even if you’re not eligible, we can signpost you to other services who can support you.

Contact us

If you have any questions:

Telephone 020 8583 6600 (choose option 1, then option 1 again)

Email  (non secure)  (secure)

Further information

    Back to top