If you have a two year old child they may be able to get free childcare and early learning at a private day nursery, pre-school or with an Ofsted registered childminder if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- If you have a household income of less than £16,190 or receive certain benefits, including Universal Credit, you may qualify for free childcare
- Working tax credit during the four-week period immediately after employment ceases or after the parent / carer starts to work less than 16 hours per week
- If you have recently applied for Universal Credits please contact the Early Years and Childcare Team on 020 8583 6421
If you meet the qualifying criteria above, your child will become eligible from the term after their second birthday for up to 15 hours of free childcare each week.
You can check your eligibility for free childcare by clicking on the “check to see if you qualify” box.
You are also able to receive free childcare if your child:
- has a current statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care plan
- receives Disability Living Allowance
- is looked after by the local authority; or
- has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangement order or adoption order
If your child meets any of the other qualifying criteria, you will not need to go online to check your eligibility. Please call the Early Years and Childcare Team directly on 020 8583 6421.
If your child has an additional need and/or has been identified as having special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND) and you are having difficulty in finding a free place, please call 020 8583 6421 and ask for support in finding a free place.
Once your child has enrolled in either a day nursery or pre-school, they may be able to access extra support through the Early Years SEN Team.
For more information on free childcare for 2 year olds, please see our frequently asked questions . If you can't find the answer to your question, please contact the Early Years and Childcare Service by sending an email to email@example.com or call 020 8583 6421
If you have any concerns about your child’s free place, it is very important that you always discuss these first with your childcare provider. If after speaking to them you are still not happy then please see the complaints procedure