Keeping children, young people and your family safe means protecting them from abuse and other dangers in their everyday lives.
Please read our staying safe advice before contacting a service or activity.
There are many organisations offering financial advice around debt, entitlements, benefits and grants. Below you will find links to a handful of organisations that can provide further information and support on the many financial aspects of raising a family. Local support can be found here
- GOV.UK - Pregnancy and Birth – Working, time off and financial support help when having a baby
- Child Benefit find out about child benefit eligibility and how to claim
- Child maintenance options free impartial information and support to help parents make informed choices about child maintenance.
- Gov.uk - Benefits for families
- Childcare page information on help towards paying for and finding childcare
- Gingerbread – For single parents this site can help support you through separation or bereavement, sorting out work or childcare. Online advice and a helpline can support you with more complex queries.
Benefit and grant calculators
- Teenage parent’s benefits finder
- turn2us benefits and grants calculator
- entitledto benefits calculator
- Gov.uk - Tax credits calculator
- Local Food Banks - provides a list of food banks running in Hounslow supporting families who are struggling and unable to afford to feed themselves
- Help with Health costs
- Buttle UK – Grant programme helping children and young people in need
- Money Advice Service – Free and impartial money advice
- Citizens Advice Hounslow provide free, confidential, impartial advice on welfare benefits, debt, housing, employment, consumer, relationship & family issues, immigration and other topics.
- Housing advice - your options explained and advice on issues you may be experiencing.
Family mediation helps to sort out family disputes without going to court. An independent, trained mediator helps you and your partner to work out an agreement about issues such as:
- Arrangements for children after you break up (sometimes called custody, residence or contact)
- Child maintenance payments
- Finances (for example, what to do with your house, savings, pension, debts)
For more general guidance and support around relationships:
Kooth - Free anonymous confidential support for young people. Website provides ‘drop in’ online counselling chats, 1-to-1 counselling and themed message forums
Childline - 0800 1111 - Free 24 hour helpline for children; may have to dial several times to get through as can be busy. Also, offer email support via the website, ‘1-2-1 chat’ online with a counsellor or ‘Ask Sam’
Relate for Young People - 0300 100 1234 - The young people's counselling service provides support for any young person experiencing problems at home or at school. See web page for 'relationship help’ for children and young people'.
Teen Issues - Website has information and guidance on teenage issues such as family life, relationships, education, exams, the environment, diet, fitness and mental health. On the website you can ‘ask an expert’, read true life stories, keep up-to-date with latest news or register for their monthly e-newsletter.
The Mix - 0808 808 4994 - Free telephone and email helpline providing emotional support for young people for under 25 year olds.