Skip to main content


Childcare information and advice on all registered childcare provision in the London Borough of Hounslow

What is registered childcare?

The law requires anyone providing childcare professionally for children under 8 for a period of more than two hours at a time to register with Ofsted. Providers are inspected regularly by Ofsted and these reports are then published.  The inspection will rate the quality of the childcare being provided and judge it as either

  • Outstanding
  • Good
  • Requires improvement
  • Inadequate

When provision is judged to be less than "Good", Ofsted and the local authority will take steps to work with the provider to improve the quality of their childcare

Read more on Ofsted's role in regulating childcare......

Exemptions - Some types of childcare are exempt from compulsory registration. Nannies, for example, are employed by a family to work in that family’s home, and are not classed as a childcare business in the same way as childminders who operate from their own homes. Other exempt provision includes those where children stay for less than two hours, such as crèches, or groups like Rainbows and Scouts. Exempt providers can opt to join whats known as the Voluntary Childcare Register and then can also be inspected.

**All childcare providers listed on this directory are registered and subject to Ofsted inspections**

Free childcare and early learning for 2, 3 and 4 year olds

The government provides free early learning to 2, 3 and 4 year olds.

Eligible 2 year olds are entitled to free childcare and early learning. This depends on your family income or the child’s circumstances. Read more….

All 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to childcare and early education.  This entitlement is up to 15 hours at a registered childcare provider. Read more…..

30 hours extended entitlement for 3 & 4 year olds (from Sept 2017) working families will be able to get an additional 15 hours of free childcare and early education. Read more....

Support with childcare costs

Childcare Choices - the new government website launched in April 2017 bringing together all the government childcare offers in one place for the first time.

To find out more about new and existing offers, and how they can help you, visit the Childcare Choices website today at

Childcare for children with special educational needs and disabilities

Early years and childcare providers are required to have arrangements in place to identify and support children with SEN or disabilities and to promote equality of opportunity for children in their care. These requirements are set out in the EYFS framework.

All Ofsted-registered childcare settings, such as nurseries, pre-schools and nursery classes, must make arrangements to support children with SEN and make information about this available to parents. This must be published as part of the Local Offer* The Early Years SEN Team work with the early years settings (private, voluntary and independent) in the borough to support the inclusion of children from 0–5 years with additional needs and/or identified special educational needs and disability (SEND). 

Childcare providers should identify a member of staff, such as the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) to be responsible for SEND, to advise colleagues and ensure that parents are actively involved in decisions. If you think or already know that your child has a SEN, the SENCO is a useful person to talk to.

All early years settings, which offer free childcare for two, three and four-year-olds, must follow the SEND Code of Practice. When a young child (aged 0-5 years) is identified as likely to have a special educational need, the Pre-School and Foundation Panel is told so that it can consider appropriate support and provision. For further information see Early Years (0-5)

All registered early years and childcare providers records listed in this directory, that have either experience and/or training in special educational needs and disabilities are marked with Local Offer.

*A Local Offer gives children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and their families’ information about what services are available in their local area.

Back to top